Saturday, August 20, 2011

all recovered :)

SOOO a week ago I finally got the surgery I have been waiting for. As junior year of high school began to open up, I started noticing my right eye was a little bit more open than my left, but didn't think much of it. Then, the summer before senior year I started noticing that it looked like my left eye was closed when I smile for pictures. NOT GOOD. (especially considering the fact that my friends are crazy picture takers) I made sure to try hard to open my eye real wide for my senior picture and just let it be. You can tell it's saggy, but it was the best I could do.

I wanted it all taken care of before this summer because I don't want a droopy eye in hawaii and I didn't want it for Megan's wedding. Well, I got my wish half way. Last week on Thursday, August 11, I was put under and this is what lovely little Dr. Del Canto did to me. He flipped over my eyelid and tightened the muscle in it. Then proceeded to stitch up some of the tissue and then fold the lid back to where it belongs. I spent the next week icing my eye and let me tell you. It's hard to ice one eye, be able to see out the other, and not have to hold the ice pack there. Needless to say, Sue and I got pretty dang creative- and when I say Sue and I, I mostly mean Sue. We tried to put the bag of peas on my face and then put a sleeping mask on me, but that didn't work because then I couldn't see out of my right eye. Then, Suzy went and bought some kids size hair bands (those stretchy ones that go like around the outer rim of your hair, not like an elastic for a pony tail) and we would criss cross them. It worked quite well until my head stretched them to their limit and they weren't tight anymore. We ended up doing that for about 3 days and on the 4th day, I used an old masquerade mask from zurchars and wore that around with an ice pack under it. I looked good!

This was a conversation I had with Sawyer (3 years old) the day I got my surgery while I had the hair bands and peas on my eye.
Sawyer: Sarah? What are you doing?
Me: I'm in my bed! My eye hurts.
Sawyer: Oh. Cause you are a pirate?
Few minutes later Sawyer comes back into my room.....
Sawyer: Hey sarah? What do you say?
Me: Huh?
Sawyer: Tell me what you say!
Sarah: aaarrrrgggggg
Sawyer got laughing hyserically and played that game the rest of the afternoon, come to find out the next day he woke up asking his mom if he could go "visit the pirate"

I really didn't swell up or bruise too bad. AND my eye didn't really hurt that much but it was SOO itchy. The stitch in my eye felt like a hair that I just wanted to pull out. We went back yesterday and good 'ol doc pulled the stitches out... OUCH!! But it's over. And I'm alive. And I have two normal eyes now!!!!!!! :) :) I shall now try to post a pretty funny picture of myself in recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment